Sunday, July 4, 2010

June 26, 2010

Well I’m four weeks into my summer at Asbury and two weeks into it with campers. This week I was co’s with Lily. We worked really well together however we both agreed that it was good that we didn’t have home in the woods this week because we wouldn’t have been good home in the woods co’s. This week was really emotionally heavy for our campers. The girls were struggling with a lot of hard things in their lives and it was hard to know what to say to comfort them. However, God was faithful in speaking through Lily and I as we tried to respond to the struggles in their lives. It is always a challenge to make as big of an impact as possible in the week that these girls are in my life especially knowing that this may very well be the only week our lives ever cross paths.

As some of you may have experienced, I talk in my sleep. Well my campers got to experience this side of me this week. On Friday morning one of my campers told me that I was trying to make my campers play a game of signs in the wee hours of the night. She said that I said “everyone needs to show their sign. Whoever is above me needs to show their sign!” How embarrassing. Needless to say I’m glad they didn’t listen to me and engage in a game of signs.

Today while talking to a friend from home I was convicted of not spending quiet time with the Lord while at camp. It’s so hard because we are with campers 24/7. I’m going to start waking up early and having quiet time before the campers get up to stay in the Word and keep that truth dwelling in my thoughts. I’m also going to bring it up tomorrow at our meeting to see if we can get alone time while the campers are at intentional activities. While corporate prayer and worship is important so is individual prayer. Not having quiet times has not stopped my walk with God but it is a crucial part of my walk as I’m teaching younger campers to do the same.

I’m learning a lot already this summer. One night during staff training I prayed this prayer “Wow, Lord, I’m sacrificing a lot for this camp. But nothing compared to what you have done. Please remind me of that. Because it’s at the cross where we are humbled. Last night at home in the woods I really felt lost and wondered if this is really where you want me this summer. Remind me that it is and what my purpose is to serve you and these kids. I pray I can grow closer to you and the campers and other staff. Thank you for bringing me here and I praise you for your faithfulness and holiness.” I’ve really served a lot this summer and served probably more than I ever have. I’ve been putting a lot into serving these girls and when I come to the cross I am humbled at how little I have done. God has answered my prayers since the HIW (home in the woods) from staff training and I’m learning more and more about why God has me where He does this summer. I pray that the Lord will give me excitement for this week and energy to motivate the campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment