Friday, February 19, 2010

Could it have been better timing?

Alright blog fans let’s take it back a couple of years. It’s story time! It’s the week before 8th grade graduation. My sister and I decide to take a little joy ride around the neighborhood on the scooter. This is her scooter, not necessarily made for two people. It’s electric and I’m on the front and she’s standing behind me. I drive us into this cul-de-sac and we’re having a great time. I decide to get cool and we hit the curb the wrong way and fall. When we fall, the handlebars go to the side and I hit the cement face first, mouth open. Mind you, my sister is on the back of me so I hit double hard because of her weight on top of me. We get up and I’m like “Ouch. Cyd is my mouth bleeding? I can’t feel it.” It was definitely bleeding and my teeth were chipped. I ran to the nearest neighbors that I knew, screaming “help” the whole way, rang the door bell and knocked frantically. No answer. Cool. Just what I needed. Fortunately my screaming was of benefit and some other neighbors, that I didn’t know, heard me. The lady was a nurse so she knew exactly how to help me. She was a guardian angel for sure. I ended up getting a babysitting job out of it as well. Meanwhile, my parents are getting ready to go to a dinner party at some friend’s house. The sweet neighbor called my parents and they came to get us. Needless to say, my parents didn’t go to the dinner party, my mom called Dr. Nyland to see about fixing my teeth, and my dad went out and bought Jello for me to eat. Please know that my upper lip was swollen and scabbing. We got the teeth fixed the next day and from then on I’ve had to cut up corn and apples before eating them because they aren’t as strong as before. Let’s jump back to what I said about it being the week before 8th grade graduation. I made all A’s throughout middle school so I had the privilege of sitting on stage at graduation. Thankfully I had declined the offer to make a personal speech at graduation because that would have been quite a show with that lip. The day of graduation my family and I left for an RV trip up to Canada; so not only does the scabbed lip make an appearance in the graduation pictures, but it also makes many an appearance in the RV trip pictures. I have kindly added a photo of me and the scabbed lip for your enjoyment. I hope it is just that.







1 comment: